Preliminary Race Schedule 2015

Black Cat 20 miler March 2015
Boston Marathon April 2015
JCC sprint tri May 2015
B2B bike race/ride June 2015

? Musselman July or Lowell Olympic
? challenge Maine olympic in august
sprint or half September

Thursday, December 17, 2009

First Indoor Trainer Class by Coachie

Today was class one of an indoor bike trainer class with power meter today with my coach, Janda Ricci-Munn. He does class on tuesday mornings and thursday nights. For the last two seasons I traveled all the way from Beverly to Newton, Ma to take the Fastsplits class with Karen Smyers, it was really fun but with 4 kids, the commute and class it could add up to 3+ hours, but at the time we didn't have any other options for doing this type of class on your bike so i sucked it up and traveled to Boston. But now, not only do I get to do a great indoor, hard trainer ride but I get to do it with my new coach, and I'm really psyched.

I got my power meter about a year ago but I have to say I really didn't use it effectively this past year and I basically have based all my workouts on HR and mph and at times tried to hit my goal watts but it wasn't really stressed. Since working with Janda the power meter is slowly and I mean slowly becomming my friend, most of the times its been my enemy but at least for tonight it was my friend.

Tonight was an easy introduction to the class and over the next few weeks and months we will be building to some sick ( as he put it) no talking ( again as he put it) classes, so we were to just enjoy this class. Not to say we didn't work tonight but certainly not where I know he is going to go ..
The workout:
warmup
single leg drills
ramp up to close to V02 max so we can get are legs used to the workload that lies ahead
5min/4min/3min/2min/1min with 2 min recovery in between of working on your tempo watts and low cadence and building each minute up in watts and in cadence.

By the 2 minute and 1 minute intervals you were working close to your V02 max watts.

Total time in saddle tonight including a cool down was 1hr 4 minutes.

My tempo watts are usually 190-215, but tonight I was close to 220-230, my heart rate was good, not bumping up and my legs felt frisky. When I needed to hit close to V02 max I was up around 255, 260, and actually 329 for a bit but I knew when he said could I hold that for 20 minutes I knew I wouldn't be able to but I felt really good tonight, better than I have in a long time on the bike. The true test will come in few weeks when we get tested and hopefully I will improve over the next few weeks and put up some good numbers. I'll keep you guys posted.

Anyway, we will see where the bike will go, I am so excited to have Janda giving this class, not only do I not have to travel to boston but the personal attention and his expertise is just amazing and I left there so happy and psyched about my numbers. Maybe, just maybe with his guidance I can turn into a decent biker down the road. Now if I could just lose another 6-10lbs so it would be easier to climb those damn hills.

If anyone is interested in taking his trainer classes you can contact: Scott Bumpus at Seaside Cycle in Manchester, Mass: 23 Elm Street. 1-978-526-1200

No comments:

Post a Comment