Preliminary Race Schedule 2015

Black Cat 20 miler March 2015
Boston Marathon April 2015
JCC sprint tri May 2015
B2B bike race/ride June 2015

? Musselman July or Lowell Olympic
? challenge Maine olympic in august
sprint or half September

Saturday, January 15, 2011

August, a tough month.....

Lots of things going on in my mind today but most specifically a conversation I had tonight with someone. Every summer we go away on a fabulous vacation for the first two weeks of August, the kids, my hubby, its great, no complaints really, I'm very blessed in so many areas of my life that even considering being a bit confused about vacation should never reach my mind, but, unfortunately it does. Heres my problem:

The last two years I've trained for ironman Lake Placid in late July, so going away the first two weeks of August was a no brainer, I was in total complete recovery mode, having a gym to workout in, a beach to swim, a road to run on is all I ever needed. The only complaints the past two years was that I couldn't race a local race that everyone does and I've wanted to do for awhile, but really, no biggy.

This year is a bit different, I technically have two "A" races, a half ironman in June and a half ironman in September, ( with a possible long distance event in November if all goes well). Going away this August to places like Italy, Greece, Idaho, California are amazing, the opportunity to travel is just crazy and I"m so blessed, however, is it wrong for me to think that I may not beable to swim for two weeks or even bike depending on where we go? Is it wrong for me to just have a little twinge of sadness that my training will be a little off working up to a big race in September? It's not going to change that we are going, I'm still going to have an amazing time and enjoy myself completely, but I still have those thoughts in my head, I can't help it.

The bigger deal is when you discuss your feelings and emotions to someone and they say, " I really don't care" that you won't beable to bike or swim, its vacation, you can run. I don't care if there is a gym or anything else, you've done ironman for two years. It's hard when people just don't understand, its really hard. I do everything in my power to make sure what I love to do doesn't effect my family too much or my relationship with friends and my obligations, but of course it does a little, how can it not, I'm not stupid or nieve. However, the people who love you most should beable to understand what makes someone happy, what makes someone tick, what gives that person a purpose and a goal in life along with being a mother, wife and friend.

Triathlon, working out, being fit has become a part of my life, I'm not obessed about it but its become a part of my life, its part of who I am, yet it doesn't define completely who I am. It's hard when people don't understand that or try to accept that.

Well, anyway, enough bitching for now, life is always good and if this is the only thing I can bitch about than I truly am blessed.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Donna. I get it. We are going to Disney for 10 days in February, and of course I am concerned I can only run! I am viewing it as an opportunity to rest and just focus on that... running.
    I find that when I have those worries... like OH GOD! I can't swim or bike! I just keep inside me, or talk to another tri mom. The ones we love are just human... of course they are tired of tri being a player in our lives. It is hard, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain-last year, everyone was really understanding about Placid, but this year I get alot more of "ANOTHER race, c'mon!' Thankfully my hubby gets it, but its really hard to plan a getaway with two A races 3 months apart. Can you negotiate one to be by a pool or the ocean so you can get 2 out of 3 sports in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely 100% the same way. Part of what makes you happy and what makes you YOU is your devotion to the sport and the joy you get from doing it. I go through this every year and I don't a husband and children that need my attention. I bet once you get over the intial stress of being away you'll rally and find a way to stay sharp and not lose your fitness. There are gyms and bodies of water and roads to run on EVERYWHERE. It just takes a little careful planning in advance. I have full faith that you can get creative and figure out a way to git 'er done and still have a fantastic time!!!

    ReplyDelete