Preliminary Race Schedule 2015

Black Cat 20 miler March 2015
Boston Marathon April 2015
JCC sprint tri May 2015
B2B bike race/ride June 2015

? Musselman July or Lowell Olympic
? challenge Maine olympic in august
sprint or half September

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Suck it up and stop moping!!!!!



So, over the last week or so I have finally figured out how to calibrate my power tap and zero out the torque and to make sure my readings are as close to what they should be everytime I ride. What I found out last week was that I was probably riding about 15 watts higher than I actually was on all my rides/intervals. It was a bit of a downer for me, I'm not going to lie, but I'm also pretty honest about it because the numbers I was producing were pretty sick. I'm glad I found out now so that I can just continue to perform and hopefully continue to improve on my overall fitness.

This week ( probably Saturday) I will be testing to find my zones on the bike. The test properly warms me up for about 40 minutes and then I go into a 4 x 5min test with only 1 1/2 minutes in between for recovery. I am supposed to start the first two intervals at low to mid range of my Vo2 max and with the last 2 minutes to increase my wattage if able by 10-15 watts per minutes. Interval number 3, I am to start at the average wattage I put out from the first two for the first 3 mintues and then increase by 10-15 each minute after until 5minutes and then the last interval I am taking the average of interval 3 and trying to MAX my performance for the full 5 minutes if I am able.


Saturday and today I have been riding either with the computrainer or just my trainer with my power tap to see how my watts have been producing. It clearly shows that I am riding lower than I have been and I'm not going to lie I have been pretty bummed out about it. Today I rode for 42 minutes for a warm up and then my main set was:

4 x 8 minutes: 1 1/2 min at 60-65 cadence mid range to high range SS then 30 secs at mid range tempo cadence of 80-85.

recovery inbetween each interval was 2 minutes.

My numbers for each set:

Set 1- 205
Set 2-213
set 3- 218
set 4-218

My peak HR was only 161bpm by my final interval and < 160 bpm on all the rest. My coach noted that even with the 15 watt difference I am still operating well above where I was performing last summer. He noted that, the bottom line is that power meters, like any tech gadget can and will fail you. It could happen in a race or key training session. You should expect that it will happen. He continued to tell me, that if I let a few numbers rain on my parade now, how will I handle it when the pressure is really on?

Coachies advice- suck it up and stop moping!!! and thats an order.

Ok, enough moping, I'm done, know its time to still kick some ass and get these numbers to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment